Monday, January 8, 2007

Catching Up and Vegan Ginger Cookies and Vega


Okay-The picture is of my nephew enjoying vegan chocolate fondue...now that is a great dessert!

I am very behind in my blogging already. I took a lot of pictures of the vegan treats I made over the holidays and now they are all in my camera which I left at my Mom's. So I will have to add them later. But I have to say the most amazing addition to my holiday baking repetoire came from the holiday edition of Vegetarian Times magazine-which I don't buy very often, since they also publish a hunting magazine. It had a whole section on vegan cookies and I decided to make the ginger ones because I simply can't get enough ginger these days. I left the walnuts out but kept everything else the same. They turned out AMAZING. I also made Pumpkin Spice Muffins from Simple Treats, Monkey Muffins (banana chocolate chip), Dreena's chocolate chips cookies from VLV and some gingerbread stars for the Winter Soltice. They all turned out great, making my holidays a lot sweeter.


As some of you know I have been running a lot these days. I'm up to 50 or more kms per week. So I thought I should read a bit about being a vegan athlete. I was at Whole Foods the other day and was given a free copy of Brenden Brazier's book-Thrive. If you haven't heard of him he is a Canadian, vegan, Ironman athlete. I saw him speak at the Vegetarian Food Fest in Toronto this fall. Anyway, I got the book and read the whole thing yesterday. There weren't too many surprises in it although he certainly encourages the inclusion of Maca, Chlorella and Hemp in your everyday diet. I have been working hard at sticking to whole foods and I'm certainly noticing a difference. Last year, when I was completing my Master's degree and doing a lot of practicum hours I was eating a lot more prepackaged foods-whereas now I'm not eating any besides some condiments. I used to crave both sugar and chocolate on a regular basis and now that has completely disappeared. I do crave a lot of Apples these days-but being in Southern Ontario they continue to be amazingly sweet, so who can blame me. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried his Vega supplement. If you have let me know what you think.


Other than that it looks like I will be moving in to a new job soon which also means buying my first home. The near future is going to be full of be changes but I promise to make time for lots of good food-and I'll even take some more pictures.

No comments: